Friday, May 31, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Gallette and Foodie Laziness

I hated pie as a child. Ok that's probably an exaggeration but it just did not float my boat. The gelatinous texture of the processed fruit contained in the crust which, unless my grandma made it, was probably underwhelming just could never match up to say cake or other confections. The only pie I loved as a child was my grandma's Pumpkin Pie with fresh cinnamon spiked whipped cream. A family favorite was Strawberry Rhubarb which we had regularly when visiting my grandparents out in Sebastopol (hippy wine country for you who are not familiar). Again as long as my Grandma made it, fresh out of the oven, it passed muster with my young taste buds. As I've gotten older I've gotten.... let's say more "comfortable" with pies, but it wasn't until I started making Gallette's that I started to love them. As you have probably read in a couple of my earlier posts a Gallette is essentially a flat pie. The crust is rolled out on a baking sheet, the filling spread decoratively in a single layer in the center and the edges rustically folded up to hold it all together. I've always been a fan of good crust and what I realized I like most about the gallette vs a standard pie is that the fruit filling gets tender but not slimy. Because it is open to the heat radiating through the oven and in a single layer the juices and sugar don't form the thick syrup (at least not as much, some depends on your fruit of choice). Now that summer is upon us it felt like time for some strawberry rhubarb goodness and so last night for my own pleasure I crafted a strawberry rhubarb Gallette.

Deciding to make this brought out a little bit of the, let's call it grocery snob, in me. I was first thinking about making it Tuesday and I thought for convenience I'd swing by the Lucky's across the street. WRONG. They weren't selling rhubarb. I wasn't aware this was an exotic ingredient. Rhubarb requires cold temperatures to grow and mature so by the end of Spring we should have plenty in stores. Apparently not. As I strolled around Lucky's  trying to buy a few other things I realized how much my opinions on some ingredient purchases have changed over the years.

Last night I went to Whole Foods where I found the rhubarb I needed and decided to indulge in some off the beaten path Ice Cream to compliment my baking. Three Twins has all kinds of wonderful flavors but my current favorite is Dad's Cardamom.
Simple yet exotic the spicy almost (but not quite) orangezesty essence of Cardamom flavors give this  ice cream a grown up flair. Playing off the sweet tart strawberry rhubarb and the lavender sugar that I laced through out the fruit and crust this dessert was exquisitely rustic and charming. And just the tiniest bit food snobby.

Strawberry Rhubarb Gallette

Crust:

  • 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1 Tablespoon white sugar (lavender sugar if you are feeling fancy)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 7 Tablespoons cold butter cut in small chunks
  • 2 Tablespoons (or as needed) cold water
  • Milk or egg wash for edge of crust, 1 Tblsp Turbinado sugar for decoration if desired

Fruit Topping:

  • 2 Medium/Large Stalks of Rhubarb cut in 1/4 in slices
  • 1/2 Pint of Fresh Strawberries hulled and sliced
  • 1/4 cup white sugar (lavender sugar if you are feeling fancy)
Directions:

In a medium bowl whisk together flours, sugar, & salt. With your fingers smoosh chunks of cold butter into the dry mix until it resembles a coarse meal (with this ratio of butter to dry ingredients it may even being to come together in a ball). 1 Tablespoon at a time add in cold water until the dough forms a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours (or up to a day).

While your dough is chilling slice your strawberries and rhubarb and combine in a bowl with the sugar, set aside letting the fruit macerate in it's own liquids extracted by the sugar.

Preheat oven to 350 F

Once the dough is chilled let it rest (8-10 min) on a piece of parchment paper large enough to roll it out on that has been floured. Top with another piece of parchment paper to save on mess and begin to roll out your dough into a rustic circle patching cracks as needed with pieces of dough from the edge. Roll to about an 1/8 of an inch thickness (close to a 14 inch diameter). Transfer your bottom parchment piece with the dough circle to a baking sheet, preferably one with an edge should you have an juice leakage. Top with your fruit, being sure to leave the extra juices created in the bowl, leaving a 2 inch border around the edge. Once all of your fruit is arranged (mine came out in a sort of double layer which was good with such small pieces) fold the edges over with the help of the parchment paper (mine always end up in a sort octagon shape) brush crust edge with milk or egg wash and sprinkle with the coarse turbinado sugar for decoration. Transfer baking sheet into the oven and bake for 1 hour.

Once it is out of the oven I like to let it rest for just a couple minutes while the fruit juices settle and thicken then serve warm or at room temp with your favorite mild ice cream ( I suggest the Three Twins Cardamom!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment