Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Tasty Way to start my New Years Resolution

Ah the New Year. Everyone is abuzz with their plans for a fresh start, new fitness goals, and plans to find a more rewarding career. My goals aren't so lofty. #1 I know I'll never really have the dedication to maintain fitness goals #2 I'm happy making my side projects (such as this blog) the fulfilling supplement to my "career". So as the New Year approached I decided to dedicate myself to growing in another area. My goal this year is to give back more. Starting with small donations and hopefully finding a place where I can dedicate some actual time and effort into improving others lives. After reading all the stories of this crushing recession I feel grateful everyday that I have managed to get a job that helps me live a comfortable life. Sure I don't make a lot but I certainly make enough to waste too much of it. If I can waste it on the silly things I sometimes do I think it's time to start sharing it with those in need. If you have been feeling similarly here is a great way to start!
My mom turned me on to this group, Cookies for Kids Cancer, this holiday season. As those close to me know we lost my younger sister to a childhood cancer about 6 years ago and the cause holds a special place in our families heart. This non-profit organization was founded by a family who suffered a similar lose and wanted to find a way to raise funds for the "development of new and better treatments" for children's cancers. It all started with one huge bake sale (96,000 cookies that netted a  $400,000 donation) that has led to an ever growing opportunity for anyone to give to the cause.
Their operation is two fold - with tools provided by the group (registration, prep tools, logos, recipes, etc) you can host your own bake sale within your community (church, school, group of friends & family) and donate the proceeds. Or should you want to start more simply you can buy the cookies that they make online! My mom bought a number of the varieties to share with family members this Christmas season.








Stylishly wrapped and available in 9 different varieties these cookies make an excellent gift for someone you love- or just for yourself! Liam's Lemon Sugar (named for the family's son), Ginger Spice, Oatmeal Raisin, Triple Chocolate Chunk, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut, Chunky Peanut Butter, Chocolate Almond Coconut Crunch, Chocolate Chip, & Dark Chocolate Cranberry. We tried the Lemon Sugar, Triple chocolate, & Ginger Spice on Christmas and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by all of them. They are hand baked when ordered by a family bakery that the organization partners with.
 The cookies are about 3 inches across and a nice thickness. The taste freshly made and have just the right chewiness in their texture. My personal favorite was the Ginger Spice (we all know I love my ginger!) The flavor was high quality with bright spicy ginger notes and the calming undertones of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. The chocolate ones were rich and satisfying, and Liam's Lemon Sugar are the perfect cookie for some afternoon tea. I didn't actually taste the Chocolate Almond Coconut but my mom declared those to be her favorite, rave reviews all around!
I hope you take a chance to look through their website www.cookiesforkidscancer.org to find out more about this organization and hopefully donated to their truly worthy cause. There is so much to read and learn from them and who knows maybe this year I'll work on putting on a bake sale myself! If I do I hope you all can come, in the meantime enjoy some of their fantastic cookies!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see this blog entry! Also, when buying online you may select, from many options, what area of cancer research you would like to support with your purchase. I was able to select "soft tissue sarcomas" in memory of Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to support you in a bake sale for this wonderful cause. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. <3

    ReplyDelete